Finger Millet (Ragi) Choco-chips Cake
- 1 cup ragi flour (finger millet flour)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Additional chocolate chips for topping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease a round cake pan or line it with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the ragi flour, whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract to the butter-sugar mixture and mix well.
- Mix the vinegar with the buttermilk in a separate bowl and let it sit for a couple of minutes. It will curdle slightly.
- Gradually add the dry flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture, alternating with the buttermilk-vinegar mixture. Begin and end with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Optionally, sprinkle some additional chocolate chips on top for extra decoration.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, slice the Eggless Ragi Chocochips Cake into desired pieces and serve.